Embry Insights: “I was just involved in an accident and sustained injuries…”

ELF Newsletter: April 2018
May 9, 2018
ELF Newsletter: May 2018
June 3, 2018
Show all

#EMBRYINSIGHTS: We’re answering burning legal and common situational questions, to guide you in the right direction!

Q: I was just involved in an accident and have sustained injuries as a result. I want to see a doctor, but I’m worried about medical expenses. Does the insurance company cover the bill? If they do, when does it get paid?

A: Ultimately, the person at fault pays for your medical bills. They are responsible, so they will pay either personally or through their insurance company. The problem is that they will not pay until the case is settled or after trial when they will pay a single lump sum to you for all your damages.

Until then, though, how do your bills get paid? First, if you have health insurance, you should send your bills to your health insurer for payment. Another option is to submit the bills to your car insurance company for payment under your medical payment benefit coverage, if applicable.

If you do not have health insurance or medical payment benefits to pay for your medical care, your doctor may take a lien against the proceeds of your settlement in order to pay his bill. Under this agreement, he’ll wait to get paid until your case settles.

Because there are a variety of payment options, and each can have a consequence with respect to your accident injury case, it is important to speak to an experienced attorney for specific advice for your case. The Embry Law Firm is available to consult with you and provide clear advice regarding your serious injury. If you have been involved or injured in an accident, please contact us at 1-844-44EMBRY (1-844-443-6279) so that we can properly assist you with your case.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *