Mableton Truck Accident Lawyer
A truck accident is something no one expects to happen. One minute you are driving along minding your own business, and the next, your vehicle is being crushed by a truck that outweighs and out sizes your own vehicle. Because of the size and weight difference, truck accidents commonly result in devastating property loss and physical injuries.
At The Embry Law Firm, we understand that a truck accident is a big deal. Our Mableton truck accident lawyer works with clients who are facing serious injuries, property loss, or loss of life due to a truck accident. We know the complexities of truck accidents and how to overcome obstacles.
Common Causes of Mableton Truck Accidents
Truck accidents happen for numerous reasons, but recurrence of certain types of accident suggest some causes are more common than others. Based on our years of experience handling truck accident claims, the most common causes of truck accidents include:
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Fatigue or drowsy driving
- Following too closely
- Distracted driving
- Truck defects
- Improper truck maintenance
- Improperly secured loads
Any of these causes can lead to a devastating accident and injuries. What makes truck accidents even more tragic is that they can often be prevented. Negligence is almost always a factor in truck accident cases.
Commercial Truck Laws in Georgia
Truck owners, operators, mechanics, and parts manufacturers all have a responsibility to make sure that trucks are safe and efficient. There are state and federal laws that govern how trucks are maintained and operated. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) mandates the following:
- License: State and federal laws mandate that all truck drivers must obtain a commercial driver’s license (CDL). Truck drivers must be able to maintain it also.
- Drug and Alcohol Tests: Truck drivers may be required to submit to random drug and alcohol tests in the course of their employment. The FMCSA mandates that any driver with a blood alcohol content (BAC) level of 0.02 or higher can be considered intoxicated. Georgia’s legal limit is 0.08.
- Hours of Service: Federal laws require truck drivers to maintain certain hours of service. They are required to take rest breaks at certain intervals, and log their miles driven between breaks. They are also required to take time off after working a long stretch of days on the road.
- Cargo: One of the most dangerous types of truck accident are those involving unsecured cargo. Truck drivers and loaders must ensure that cargo is properly secured. Improperly secured or uneven cargo is a known cause of truck accidents. When a truck carrying thousands of pounds of product crashes, the result is devastating. Not only are the vehicles involved affected, but also vehicles around the accident scene. In some cases, nearby structures or pedestrians can also be injured.
In addition to state and federal laws specific to commercial drivers, truck drivers must also obey all traffic laws, including traffic signals, lane changes, construction and school zones, and distracted driving laws.
Why Contact a Mableton Truck Accident Lawyer
Truck accident claims are often complicated. There are multiple parties involved, including the truck driver, the company that he or she works for, parts manufacturers, insurance companies, and sometimes more.
There are many reasons why contacting a Mableton truck accident lawyer can be helpful. Some of the most important reasons you should contact a Mableton truck accident lawyer include:
- Investigation: Truck accident claims require a thorough investigation of the accident. This includes gathering evidence, visiting the scene, interviewing witnesses, and obtaining copies of all medical records.
- Liability: Another important step in a truck accident claim is determining who is liable for the accident and your injuries. This is important to ensure that your case is managed properly.
- Negotiation: In any accident, you will inform your insurance company and file a claim. Sadly, insurance companies often “low ball” claims, minimizing the extent of your injuries and losses. A skilled truck accident lawyer will negotiate a settlement on your behalf to make sure you are fairly compensated.
- Trial: If negotiations are not successful, your truck accident claim may proceed to trial. If that happens, you will need an experienced trial lawyer on your side.
The Embry Law Firm is Here to Help
If you have been injured in a truck accident, don’t delay. Contact our Mableton personal injury lawyer at The Embry Law Firm and find out what you need to do to protect your legal rights. Get the help you need by calling 844-443-6279.